In this episode, Duane and Bennett Tanton discuss the role of Peer Support in helping other service members in veteran mental health and wellness
In This Particular Episode You Will Learn:
- Bennett’s military background and journey towards working in the mental health field
- The training that Bennett received to become a Certified Peer Support Specialist
- Bennett’s takeaways from training:
- Not everyone is the same, so not all interventions will work for everyone
- Training in ethics and boundaries is critical
- Peer Support is not for everyone; we must be healed first before trying to heal others
- How some mental health professionals see peer support specialists
- Perceived differences between a peer support specialist and a licensed mental health professional
- The need for mentorship after leaving the service
Links and Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
You can be sure to find future episodes of Head Space and Timing, and all of the CYPOV Podcast Network Shows, by subscribing through your Podcast player of choice, like iTunes.
Using an app makes subscribing and listening to podcasts (both ours and others) so much simpler. Just subscribe to Change Your POV Podcast within your app and it will automatically update every time a new episode is released.
Please Leave a Review on iTunes – Learn How Here.