The mission of Veteranology is simple: Help veterans leaving active service experience healthy and fulfilling transitions into the civilian world. This is done by interviewing veterans who have found success in their new life outside of the military, individuals who have created service organizations and non-profits that serve the veteran community, and professionals deeply integrated into the backdrop of veteran life, such as doctors, lawyers, and case workers.
Jay is a Marine Corps veteran from Illinois, currently living in Denver, CO. He served with 2nd Battalion, 7th Marines as a machine gunner. He left the service as a sergeant and attended Southern Illinois University Edwardsville, graduating with a BS in Economics. A few months after graduating he led a project called Pax2Pax, a bicycle ride across the country in honor of Lance Corporal Johnny Strong, a marine who had been killed in Iraq on a patrol Knight was leading. Knight’s team raised over $20,000 for charity. He now hosts Veteranology, a podcast which serves veterans by sharing the stories of vets who have found healthy and fulfilling lives after leaving the service.
IN THIS PARTICULAR EPISODE YOU WILL LEARN:
- Jay’s transition out of the service and his bike ride across the U.S., which he called the “biggest band-aid he needed,” as well as the realization of how important it is to tell his story
- The importance of building trust in a veteran sharing their story, or helping a veteran to share their story
- Thoughts about finding a new identity after leaving the service
- Jay’s thoughts on the epidemic of veteran suicide
- Finding a way to get to the root of psychological problems through any means possible, including art therapy and volunteering
- Some thoughts on the challenges of being an “angry vet” on social media
- Thriving in spite of challenges and disabilities
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
Don’t miss out! Check out the Monthly Book Club and be a part of the conversation! Tons of exclusive content just for the members. Membership is FREE! Click the image below to learn more!
Hey, It’s Eddie and Bennett! Thanks for listening!
Thanks so much for listening! Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section or you can leave me a message about this episode by going to http://ChangeYourPOV.com/AskEddie
If you enjoy the show I sure hope you’ll subscribe and download a bunch of episodes on iTunes.
All these shows are free to download and listen to and we don’t ask for donations or anything to create this show. But if you’d like to totally make our day… we would be forever grateful if you would be so kind as to leave an honest review on iTunes.
If you are new to reviews and need a little help, you can go to LEAVE A REVIEW and we will walk you through that step-by-step. Thank you in advance for doing that! – plus, we read each and every one of them! Please share this episode with your friends and family!