Bryan Doerries is a Brooklyn-based writer, director, and translator, who currently serves as Artistic Director of Theater of War Productions. A self-described evangelist for classical literature and its relevance to our lives today, Doerries uses age-old approaches to help individuals and communities heal from trauma and loss.
Doerries is a proud graduate of Kenyon College and serves as a board member of the Alliance for Young Artists & Writers and Friends of the Young Writers Workshop. Among his awards, Doerries has received an honorary Doctorate of Humane Letters from Kenyon College, and in March 2017, he was named Public Artist in Residence (PAIR) for the City of New York, a joint appointment with the New York City Department of Veterans’ Services and Department of Cultural Affairs. During this two-year residency, he will bring more than 60 Theater of War Productions projects to diverse communities across all five boroughs.
IN THIS PARTICULAR EPISODE YOU WILL LEARN:
- How Bryan took his own personal experiences and education in ancient literature and developed a program that helped service members and veterans to come to terms with what they’ve experienced
- The development of the Theater of War project, including personal stories about the impact it has had on individual service members
- The need for those who have never served to reach out and understand those who have served, and the need for those who have served to be willing to help others to understand
- “Bridging the gap” in understanding between those who have served and those who have not
- How Theater of War is like “speaking truth to power,” both literally in the sense that it brings the discussion of veteran mental health to those who had not previously considered it, but also speaking truth to the power of stigma against veteran mental health
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
Don’t miss out! Check out the Monthly Book Club and be a part of the conversation! Tons of exclusive content just for the members. Membership is FREE! Click the image below to learn more!
Hey, It’s Eddie and Bennett! Thanks for listening!
Thanks so much for listening! Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section or you can leave me a message about this episode by going to http://ChangeYourPOV.com/AskEddie
If you enjoy the show I sure hope you’ll subscribe and download a bunch of episodes on iTunes.
All these shows are free to download and listen to and we don’t ask for donations or anything to create this show. But if you’d like to totally make our day… we would be forever grateful if you would be so kind as to leave an honest review on iTunes.
If you are new to reviews and need a little help, you can go to LEAVE A REVIEW and we will walk you through that step-by-step. Thank you in advance for doing that! – plus, we read each and every one of them! Please share this episode with your friends and family!