In this episode, Duane sits down and talks to Veteran and Clinical Mental Health Counselor Marc Scroggins about his military experience and his path towards becoming a clinical mental health and substance abuse counselor.
Marc shares his personal journey regarding mental health, and his thoughts on how veterans should approach those challenges in post-military life that they may be experiencing.
IN THIS PARTICULAR EPISODE YOU WILL LEARN:
- The inherent danger in the military
- Substance abuse and post-military life
- Substance abuse separate from PTSD and TBI
- Veteran coming to grips with their internal self
- Lack of awareness that leads to our altered state
- Altered substance abuse-induced state often leads to incarceration
- Habit, avoiding pain, and going through addiction rather than around it
- The difficulty of veterans looking at themselves as “less than” because of the “expertiseism” of the military
- The benefit of purpose on recovery
- Four categories to consider why a veteran is not willing or able to reach out for help with a mental health professional
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
Hey, It’s Eddie and Bennett! Thanks for listening!
Thanks so much for listening! Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section or you can leave me a message about this episode by going to http://ChangeYourPOV.com/AskEddie
If you enjoy the show I sure hope you’ll subscribe and download a bunch of episodes on iTunes.
All these shows are free to download and listen to and we don’t ask for donations or anything to create this show. But if you’d like to totally make our day… we would be forever grateful if you would be so kind as to leave an honest review on iTunes.
If you are new to reviews and need a little help, you can go to LEAVE A REVIEW and we will walk you through that step-by-step. Thank you in advance for doing that! – plus, we read each and every one of them! Please share this episode with your friends and family!