This podcast is the FIRST of a new show: Head Space and Timing! This episode will be focused on Veteran Mental Health and Wellness, and your host, Duane France, talks about his journey from combat veteran to clinical mental health counselor and some his thoughts on Veteran Mental Health.
Whether you are a Veteran, are a family member of one, or interact with veterans in any way, you will find something in the Head Space and Timing Podcast for you. A critical aspect of a veteran’s transition from the military to their post-military lives is their mental health and mindset, and Head Space and Timing will be able to help you build awareness of how to find stability and peace!
IN THIS PARTICULAR EPISODE YOU WILL LEARN:
- How a 22 year Army veteran with no clinical mental health experience becomes a clinical mental health counselor
- An introduction to the different types of mental health professionals that a veteran may work with
- 10 thoughts on Veteran Mental Health, including:
- Mental health and wellness is as an essential part of our military transition as employment, housing, everything else
- Not all veterans have Posttraumatic Stress Disorder
- The challenges that veterans face go beyond PTSD and TBI
- You don’t have to be crazy to talk to a mental health professional
- Military service is an entirely different life, and that means an entirely different culture
- Any mental health professional working with a veteran should understand that culture in order to provide the most benefit
- Veterans want people to understand their story, but they don’t want to have to tell people about it
- Perpetuating the stigma against seeking mental health counseling is causing veterans to prolong their pain, not reduce it
- There is no need to suffer in silence or keep it as a shameful secret
- Veteran suicide is an epidemic, is highly personal, very complicated, and (in my opinion) unnecessary
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
Hey, It’s Eddie and Bennett! Thanks for listening!
Thanks so much for listening! Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section or you can leave me a message about this episode by going to http://ChangeYourPOV.com/AskEddie
If you enjoy the show I sure hope you’ll subscribe and download a bunch of episodes on iTunes.
All these shows are free to download and listen to and we don’t ask for donations or anything to create this show. But if you’d like to totally make our day… we would be forever grateful if you would be so kind as to leave an honest review on iTunes.
If you are new to reviews and need a little help, you can go to LEAVE A REVIEW and we will walk you through that step-by-step. Thank you in advance for doing that! – plus, we read each and every one of them! Please share this episode with your friends and family!